Country Medical Coordinator (Central African Republic)
Job Title: Country Medical Coordinator
Work Base: Bangui with frequent travel to the MENTOR bases in northwest of the country
Responsible to: Country Director (MENTOR CAR)
Duration: 12 months
Start date: Autumn 2015
Closing date: until suitable candidate is found
Fee: 3800 – 4000 USD per month depending on experience
The Country Medical Coordinator is a member of the Country Management Team (CMT) and as such responsible for the development of the mission’s medical strategies and for the quality of the health programmes all along the project cycle, from assessment, to implementation, monitoring and evaluation. S/he works closely with the field medical team and the Country Director in assessing, implementing and following-up all health aspects of the programs as per logical frameworks and/or in accordance with the programme grant/award specifications. S/he is furthermore directly involved in needs assessments
Since 2008, MENTOR Initiative has been setting up networks of community health workers (CHWs) in the sub prefectures of Paoua, Bocaranga, Koui and Ngaoundaye (Ouham Pendé prefecture) as well as of Markounda, Batangafo, Nangha Boguila et Nana Bakassa (Ouham Prefecture). Additionally, health structures are supported by MENTOR in several of these sub-prefectures. More than 200,000 children have been treated over the past year by the MENTOR Initiative teams through the provision of basic health care for malaria and other common diseases at community level.
Medical programme strategy and coordination
• S/he contributes to the development of the mission’s operational medical strategy in line with MENTOR’s mission statement and the national health policy in CAR.
• Advise and assist the Country Director on the development of a MENTOR programme portfolio and a long term strategy for MENTOR programme implementation. This includes facilitation of workshops (as required) and in the final drafting of strategic and annual action plans
• Ensure that The MENTOR Initiative programme in CAR complies with the agreed logical frameworks and grant contract obligations by delivering medical technical advice and supporting activities to achieve the programme objectives.
• Participate actively in regular country management team meetings that focus on strategy, compliance and operational challenges.
• Assist the MENTOR Base Coordinators in the management of the MENTOR employed medical supervisors and, indirectly, of the CHWs.
• Supervise and give technical support to the field medical team, especially on the level of health centre support, supervision and data management & analysis.
• Advise the Country Director on the potential integration of new medical activities in the MENTOR programme portfolio and take responsibility for the introduction of any such medical activities primarily on the level of the community health workers.
• Supervise the implementation of all activities related to referral services (health centres, hospitals) including networking with partner NGOs that support secondary level health structures in the targeted areas.
• Responsible for the implementation of potential future expansion of the CHW programme into other regions. This includes the ultimate responsibility for the identification, training and establishment of such a network in new selected regions and set-up of the supply system for the CHW’s.
• Responsible for the drafting and implementation of an expat health policy on mission level.
• Prepare, finalize and follow up on international medical orders in collaboration with logistic supply officer and procurement officer at Head quarters level in compliance with MENTOR standards and procedures.
• Overall responsible for an efficient pharmacy management to ensure quality and timely reporting on stock levels and consumption.
Human ressources and Training
• Responsible for drafting job profiles for national and international health staff in the MENTOR mission in CAR.
• Prepares and/or updates training modules for MENTOR health supervisors and CHW’s as required. Participates in the trainings as required to ensure adequate quality and efficiency.
• Train and assist Ministry of Health and public health staff at the prefecture and local level in case management of malaria and other common diseases at primary health facility level. Such training includes surveillance protocols and techniques, data collection and reporting.
• Train and assist local and international NGO staff in control of malaria and other Vector Borne Diseases as per requirements from the Country Director.
• Develop an IEC strategy on health education in collaboration with the Base / Medical Field Coordinators and the health supervisors to ensure efficient community based IEC/BCC on health seeking behaviour and prevention.
• Oversee and assist the Base / Medical Field coordinators with the mapping, preparation and implementation of LLIN distribution campaigns.
• Oversee and assist the Base / Medical Field coordinators with the mapping, preparation and implementation of Indoor Residual Training campaigns.
• Participate in the development / review of prevention tools (image books, leaflets, posters, radio broadcastng etc)
Monitoring and evaluation
• Ensure that data collection formats and data bases are updated to donor proposal requirements and adapted to the level of the health actors (CHWs and health facility staff)
• Support the Base / Medical Field coordinators with timely collection and analysis of all programme statistics. This includes effective monitoring and analysis of Health Facility and CHW-data to identify areas in need of targeted training and supply activities.
• On the basis of the statistics analysed, makes reports and recommendations to the Country Director and the Base / Medical Field Coordinators.
• Assist in conducting malaria prevalence, anaemia, other clinical monitoring surveys, disease mapping and baseline data collection surveys.
• In collaboration with the CD, design and implement M&E plans for programmes implementation, assure the implementation of these M&E plans, analyse M&E data and write ‘lessons learnt’ reports at the field level to optimize quality and impact.
Reporting / Proposal writing
• Responsible for timely monthly medical reports on progress, challenges and epidemiological data.
• Advise and assist the Country Director in the creation of viable new proposals and budgets
• Assist the Country Director with technical aspects of writing of donor reports so that these are prepared and submitted in a timely manner, as per the grant agreements.
• Participate in the elaboration of regular internal situation reports (‘sitreps’) for subjects directly related to the responsibilities of the Country Medical Coordinator.
• Represent The MENTOR Initiative at national /district/regional level medical / technical meetings with the government, NGO partners and donors when required
• Stimulate positive interaction and keep good relations with all partners
• Follow and implement all existing financial, administrative and logistical procedures as well any new procedures and guidelines as communicated by the Country Director or the MENTOR Programme Manager
• Includes the possibility of transfer to another similar post in another MENTOR Initiative country programme within the period of this contract agreement.
• Any other duties as may be assigned by the CD and agreed with the MENTOR Programme Manager.
• Qualified doctor, senior nurse or other similar related medical certification
• At least 4 years field experience in a similar environment of which minimum two years would be as medical coordinator.
• Experience in managing teams in the field in insecure environments
• Organised and has solid coordination skills and experience
• Proven capacity to train others
• Flexible and willing to learn
• Practical, hands on approach
• Fluent French and English
• Familiarity with NGO working environments and standard procedures.
• Excellent team worker and communications skills
• Ability to work long hours
• Drivers licence B required.
CV and letter of motivation to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com