WASH Education Programme Coordinator – MENTOR Angola
Place of Service: Huambo, with frequent trips to field bases (Mbanza Congo, Uige) and regular attendance at meetings in Luanda
Reporting to: Country Director Angola – The MENTOR Initiative
Line management: Technical line management of WASH staff in The MENTOR Initiative Angola programmes.
Context: The MENTOR Initiative has been present in Angola since 2002, working alongside the National Malaria Control Program to reduce the burden of the disease in Zaire, Huambo and Uige provinces.
Since 2013, a Neglected Tropical Diseases Control program based on mass drug administrations (MDAs) was launched in three provinces of Angola. One of the NTD programme objectives is to reduce the risk of infection and re-infection of soil-transmitted helminths, schistosomiasis and lymphatic filiariasis amongst school children through a school based Water and Sanitation, Hygiene Education programme. The WASH Coordinator will coordinate the Hygiene Promotion Education part of the Neglected Tropical Disease Control Program through working to objectives specified in the Programme Analysis Framework (PAF) and agreed with the Country Director.
The programme now works with over 500 schools visiting up to 4 times per year over the three provinces delivering a combination of hygiene and sanitation messages. This includes supporting of latrine building, maintenance and use of tippy taps and ongoing support to the development of hygiene clubs.
WASH and the integrated NTD programme a key area of focus and growth for MENTOR’s Angola programme. Working on and delivering longer term progress through programme expansion, identifying target areas for maximum health impact and meeting existing targets are key components of this role that will suit a skilled WASH manager with a sound knowledge of innovative and effective WASH policy and practice who is also to identify and develop creative expansion
Technical Coordination and Representation
- Manage all aspects of the Hygiene promotion program (using existing internationally recognized education packages) for school-aged children according to the programme framework.
- Draft quarterly detailed implementation plans to achieve the objectives.
- Plan and organise in a timely manner, in line with MENTOR logistics and finance requirements school visits and technical trainings of teachers with regard to WASHE and NTDs
- Ensure that MENTOR establishes and maintains strong and effective co-ordination and collaboration with National and Provincial Health Authorities DPS, DPE and other local partners for the planning and delivery of all programme activities and the development of national policies on integration of NTD/WASH ;
- Provide technical support to DPS staff, to improve their skills in planning, management and monitoring of related disease control programmes;
- Draft standard technical guidelines, documents and formats
- Develop and produce IEC materials in collaboration with the relevant local authorities
Uphold and exemplify MENTOR’s core values and expectations of professional behaviour
- Act as an example to local staff and peers concerning adherence to MENTOR’s code of conduct, adherence to MENTOR’s finance, logistics and admin procedures and exemplifying a professional work ethic
- Maintain open and regular communication with the Country Director and other colleagues
- Provide oversight of the programme implementation, programme evaluation and propose changes with the purpose to improve quality and sustainability of the programme outcomes.
- Effectively monitor and evaluate programme delivery and effectiveness, analysing and interpreting data and producing appropriate graphcs to demonstrate progress, and use this to inform planning and programme development
Reporting and Donor Proposals writing
Drafting and timely submission to the Country Director of internal reports
- Participates to the drafting or modifications of the WASH proposals
- Provide timely inputs to donor quarterly reports
- Provide success stories with photos and interviews at least one per province per quarter
- Ensure the provision of quality photos of the programme activities that can be shared with the donor
- Provide timely reporting of at least 10 school supervision visits per province per quarter in time for donor quarterly reporting.
Ensure effective line management of the WASH project manager.
- Ensure effective technical line management and personal development with regular performance appraisals of all members of the WASHE team,
- Conduct recruitment in line with MENTOR protocols and local labour law and ensure the input of other team members in the selection and approval process WASHE team members
- Facilitate overall good management of programme administration, finance, logistics and HR in related programme bases, as needed and agreed with the Country Director;
- Assist the base coordinators and programme coordinators with the planning, implementation and monitoring of the WASH project.
- Ensure good collaboration with base coordinators and programme coordinators with the purpose to assure the implementation of the NTD/WASH programme.
- Ensure that all relevant administrative and financial information requested by the Finance and Logistics Coordination is supplied as per the organization’s procedures and reporting time lines;
- Work closely with the Country Director and the Coordinator Finance & Administration to ensure the effective management of MENTOR operations, administration, programme teams and programme logistics in agreed programme bases;
- In collaboration with the other technical coordinators, contribute to planning, logistical organisation and implementation of the mass drug administration (MDA) in each province.
- From time to time and as requested work with MENTOR Initiative at organisational level to share best practice across the organization.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the CD and agreed with the HQ based Programme Manager.